Connecticut Veteran Benefits

Updated: May 22, 2021

Connecticut Veteran Benefits

Benefits for the over 200,000 veterans residing in Connecticut, the "Nutmeg State."

Veteran Education Benefits

Connecticut In-State Tuition for Veterans and Spouses

Military members stationed in Connecticut qualify for in-state tuition rates and fees at any of 17 Connecticut state colleges & universities as well as at the University of Connecticut. In-state rates apply to military spouses and dependents, too.

For more information on how to apply, contact the admissions office at the school that interests you.

Combat Veterans Tuition Waiver

Any college supported by the state of Connecticut may waive tuition for undergraduate and graduate coursework for qualifying wartime veterans and dependents. Applicants must be residents of Connecticut at the time of college acceptance.

Veterans must have served a minimum of 90 days of active duty during wartime. A discharge other than Dishonorable or Bad Conduct is required.

Military dependents of individuals officially declared MIA, missing in action after January 1, 1960, can also apply for tuition waivers.

High School Diploma Program for Veterans

Veterans who left school to join the military during World War II, before receiving their high school diplomas, can apply to receive a diploma.

Veteran Employment Benefits

Connecticut State Job Protection for Veterans

By state law, individuals who leave certain employment types in public agencies to join the military can return to that job after completing their service. They must do so within 90 days of discharge and must have armed forces certification of satisfactory service.

Connecticut State Hiring Preferences for Wartime Veterans

Wartime veterans can receive extra points on their scores for competitive state exams. Points added vary. Wartime veterans eligible for VA compensation receive an additional ten exam points, whereas those not eligible for the payment or a pension get only 5 points. Spouses may qualify for extra points but must earn a passing grade. Any veterans who has received a campaign badge or an expeditionary medal qualify for five additional points with a passing grade.

Any qualified veterans in the Municipal Employees' Retirement System

may be eligibible for retirement credit for their time in the military.

Connecticut law dictates that anyone who left a municipal job to join the military service during wartime and are “re-employed by the municipality within six (6) months of discharge” may apply for credit “with the period of service as though they had been continuously employed.”

The time limitation listed above may be extended for veterans with service-connected medical problems.

Veteran Housing Benefits

Connecticut State Veterans Home in Rocky Hill

Staff for this 400-bed residential program includes: Staff Physicians and Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, Social Workers and Community Specialists, and Dieticians

Medical Services include: Substance Abuse Recovery Program, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Respiratory Therapy

Veterans who can afford to pay for all or part of their stay receive a monthly bill. Eligibility requirements include proof of military discharge (any other than Dishonorable) and Connecticut residency

Residents may be admitted to the Sgt. John Levitow Healthcare Center in Rocky Hill as medical services are needed. Some services have waiting lists.

CHFA Military Mortgage Option

Contact the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA) about the special home buyer benefits available to military families. Active duty and veterans from all service branches, guard, and reserve qualify.

Veteran Financial Benefits

Connecticut State Tax Breaks for Veterans

Qualified wartime military veterans, including Merchant Marines, may qualify for property tax exemptions. World War II veterans may qualify for a $1,500 exemption from taxes on either real property or automobiles. Veterans who do not own property but lease a motor vehicle can apply for a tax refund.

Help for veterans with financial need, and some disabled veterans may be available in the form of property tax exemptions as high as $10,000.

Some surviving spouses may qualify. Contact a municipal tax assessor's office for the current application and qualification procedures.

Connecticut State Tax Exemption for Military Retirement Pay

Connecticut does not collect state taxes on military retirement pay.

The Connecticut Soldiers’, Sailors’, and Marines’ Fund (SSMF)

The American Legion administers the SSMF Connecticut state fund, which provides temporary financial aid to qualifying military veterans with a minimum of 90 days of wartime military service. The fund addresses disabilities, illness, and unemployment and provides funds for food and medical care, including urgent surgery. Veterans must live in Connecticut to apply.

Additional Veteran Benefits

Connecticut State Veteran Drivers’ License

All qualified Connecticut veterans can have a “veteran flag identifier” on state drivers’ licenses or ID cards. To qualify, the individual needs to have had a minimum of 90 days on active duty, proof of a non-punitive military discharge (Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions), and either a DD Form 214 or a VA Certificate of Service. You must submit the application at least 30 days before your current license expires.

Military Vehicle Registration Benefits and License Plates for Qualifying Veterans

Former prisoners of war and Medal of Honor winners qualify for free motor vehicle registration and can get special military license plates.

Individuals who reside in Connecticut when they entered military service do not pay operators licenses and exam fees for either one year or a licensing period when they apply within two years of an Honorable discharge.

Service members do not pay fees in Connecticut for:

o Special disabled veteran license plates

o Special fee license plates for certain disabilities (loss of use or loss of limb, or blind) handicapped and overtime parking

o registration fees for vehicles purchased with the help of a VA auto grant.

o Registration fees the vehicles owned by Medal of Honor recipients

Recreational Benefits for Veterans

Connecticut hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses are issued at in-state rates for all active full-time military members regardless of residence state. Disabled veterans who provide documentation for the loss of (or loss of use) of a limb can receive free hunting, fishing, or trapping licenses.

Connecticut State Burial Benefits for Veterans

Connecticut State Veterans’ Cemetery in Middletown.

To qualify for burial in the Middletown Cemetery, veterans must have an Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions discharge.

A burial plot, opening and closing the grave, and perpetual care are all free to qualified veterans

To qualify, veterans must meet these requirements:

● discharge of either Honorable or Under Honorable Conditions

● active duty service in a branch of service (not including training) OR a minimum of 20 years of service in the National Guard or Reserve

● Connecticut residency at the time of death, or have Connecticut recorded as their home state upon enlistment.

Some qualifying dependents of veterans could be eligible to be buried at the Connecticut State Veterans’ Cemetery in Middletown. For information on prequalifying for burial, contact the cemetery.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All